Tuesday, August 27, 2019

New Coltrane...who knew?

I'm growing a bit cynical learning about newly found recordings of the greats and have been burned a couple of times with the reframing of Hendrix material or the less than stellar recordings of live performances from some jazz greats but this has been a hell of year for Coltrane fans (Both Directions At Once apparently has sold over 250,000 copies!). It is getting to be one of those 'can I ask for anything more than this?' periods with the news of a yet another Coltrane release.   You might wonder, but take a listen to this and tell me you don't want more:



Read all about it here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jazz. Real Jazz. It is America's gift to the world. Due to the influence of my mother and father, I grew up listening to Jazz, Blues and Country. The Blues are like Bluegrass for me in that I can listen to maybe an hour or so and I am sated. But Jazz?

I can listen for a lifetime. I don't much care for "smooooth jahzz", in fact I kinda loath it. I've never been a fan of Gorelick (Kenny G.) as I liken listening to that sort of junque with eating Kellogg's Sugar Frosted Flakes with maple syrup poured over them instead of milk.

What passes for Country Music these days if more what my younger brother calls "Hick Hop". No thanks. Give me Patsy Cline and Hank Williams Sr. thank you. So yeah, I am all for catching a new 'trane. The album with both Coltrane and Hartman is among my all time favorites so again, I am eager for more music done by Mr. Coltrane.

When I listen I don't have to sit still, in the "sweet spot" or even "in the moment". I just have to hear the music. Everyone has a soundtrack to their life. Mine is made up of talented folks like Coltrane, Sinatra, Fitzgerald and more. Music is a part of not only who we are but also who we were and will be. Think of it this way.

Love is friendship set to music.

Thanks for the 'trane, sir.

PatrickD said...

Well said my anonymous friend.