Sunday, May 5, 2013

The master passes

Sad but not too surprised to learn this week of the death of great cello player Janos Starker. I'd been drawn to the great Kodaly recordings over the last year and they never fail to move me. There's little anyone can add to the praise that he received in his lifetime but he really was a wonderful character. At Indiana, he was one of the last faculty who could get away with lighting a cigarette in his office and I love the quote from Maria Kliegel, former student, who said he once commented on a piece she'd played for him that 'if you ever play so out of tune again I'll deny I was ever your teacher'. Put on a recording, have a scotch, and let the man's music live on.




There is a memorial site at Indiana now for those wishing to leave remembrances.

No comments: