Monday, November 7, 2011

New music continually surprises

There are always new recordings coming into my home, by choice, and most of them are very good. But sometimes I hear something that truly stops me in my tracks. One such recording is "Guaillibh a cheile" by Doimnic Mac Giolla Bridhe and Griogair Labhruidh, a collaboration of two Celtic musicians, one Irish, the other Scottish, exploring the rich traditions and commonalities of both forms. I doubt that most of you can listen to this music and understand a word that is sung, literally, but I doubt you can hear it and not be moved by the intimacy, humanity and sheer emotional conveyance on offer here.  As a blues fan I cringe when people tell me that white people cannot understand the blues but I suppose I was no different myself in believing only Celts can appreciate the meaning of pipes, bodhrans and the lamentations of Irish songs. This recording breaks that barrier by giving us all music that bridges lands and peoples, and over far greater distance than the relatively small space between Ireland and Scotland. Hear this and you hear something of the collective soul in all people. Now that's what I call music!

If interested, Amazon has it but you can also deal directly with the artists at: www.doimnic.com/en   (that's the English version, to make it easier for you!)

No comments: